A NARS artist since 2006, Janice Daoud is an incredibly talented artist that has made her (brush) mark in the world of beauty. A self-taught makeup artist with drive, ambition, and talent, Janice honed her craft and propelled herself forward from freelancer to land her current position as one of NARS' top premiere makeup artists. Not only does she travel the world and teach others, but she has also beautified countless famous faces, and has even had the pleasure of working side by side with Francois Nars himself backstage at fashion week. Janice is one of the sweetest, most talented makeup artists that I know, and her passion for both NARS and color rivals my own. She is a stunning beauty that lives the craft, creating works of art with the face as canvas. Without further adieu, read on for the interview.
Seen above, Janice working backstage with model Chanel Iman
1. Rockstar, perfectionist, or multi-tasking maven? Being a Makeup Artist means that you have to wear many hats, but how would you define what it is that you do?
I work with all women (from the everyday woman, celebrity, supermodel) instilling confidence in individual beauty and allowing each woman to feel comfortable playing with and enjoying makeup while discovering her own style.
2. You have quite the impressive resume, which speaks volumes about your talent. Can you please take us through the journey that has led you to your current position?
I’ll keep my journey short and sweet. What started as a hobby turned into a passion and I’m exactly where I imaged myself to be today.
3. What is it like working under THE Francois Nars?
A dream come true…Literally. Francois is a makeup legend and is THE best at what he does, from his technical skills to his artistic vision and everything in between. Working under him and learning from someone who has such great talent and is STILL so influential in the fashion world today is completely amazing. He is also very kind, and humble which makes it even better. I consider myself very lucky.
4. Let's talk trend. Taking a step back from the amazing makeup looks we saw at Fall Fashion Week, what do you think is or will be the hot trend for spring?
This spring trend is about sexy soft shades that are as chic as they are versatile.
· Glazed lips – A bright yet sheer juicy lip. Think fresh, fruity and fun.
· 3-D skin – From contouring to highlighting, illumination and dimension. Complexion is back and is here to stay.
5. Can you tell us more NARS for Summer?
Summer 2010 Collection is a range of bold and bright hues and creamy textures. It’s François Nars’ vision of Catherine Deneuve’s character Sèverine in the movie Belle de Jour.
· Eyes- Indigo Blues. Colors ranging from turquoise, aqua, and iridescent ocean-blue.
· Cheeks- Soft-peach, glazed-apricot shades, with a hint of shimmer for a sheer flush and healthy glowing summertime skin.
· Lips- Tints of coral and orange, subtle, glistening, soft and sheer.
6. Which direction do you see NARS going in for fall and winter 2011?
Full face makeup will be making its comeback. Deep, Rich, Bold colors with multiple layers and textures.
7. Which beauty trend would you like to see make a comeback? Which trend do you wish to fade from existence?
Comeback- Many of us focus on just one feature. There are no rules..I’d love to see a smoky eye and a vamp-ish lip make it’s come back. Basically shy away from the “no makeup, makeup look” that we have all been doing for many seasons now.
Fade from existence - I have two. White frosty eye shadow that is used as the brow bone highlighter and orange self spray tanners.
8. Last but not least, what are the three products that you cannot live without?
Brightening Serum, Sheer glow foundation and Turkish delight lip gloss.
I want to give a very special thank you to Janice for taking time to talk with me a bit.
Like this series? Stay tuned for more ask the artist features, coming soon.