Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Ask K.B- Summer-Proof Your Makeup

* Do I look all-knowing? ;)

A while back I got an email from a loyal reader asking for advice.

She wanted to know what she could do to transition her makeup from winter to spring/summer. Her specific concern was combating her oily skin when temperatures rise. Reader, this post is dedicated to you.

First off, lets talk about how our skin changes in the warmer months. In a nutshell, rising temperatures and increasing humidity cause the skin to produce more oil to compensate for an it usually does. For those with dry skin, this can be a welcome change. However, for those with already oily skin, this can be a nightmare.

What can one do to prevent and counteract makeup meltdowns?

1. Proper prevention starts in the boudoir. A solid skincare routine is the foundation to success. A good cleanser used in conjunction with proper exfoliation will ensure that your skin doesn't clog up with the excess oil that is produced. You will want to cleanse prior to applying any makeup, and also in the evenings before bed. Exfoliating twice a week and using a clarifying/cleansing mask once a week will ensure your skin stays in tip top shape.

I recommend: Bliss Steep Clean Pore Cleansing Mask once a week (for a refresher, see my review here)

2. Once your skin has been properly taken care of, the next step is to make it up to your liking. What you wear could be a matter of preference and amount of effort you are willing to put in, but setting the basic foundation for a summer look is key to keeping your makeup looking gorgeous.
A. A good primer will go far in keeping what you put on where you put it.
B. Oil Free tinted moisturizer with SPF provides light coverage without looking too harsh. It feels light on the skin, and double-duties as effective sun-damage protection.
C. Eyeshadow Primer- Shimmering cream eyeshadow bases can be worn solo for a light shimmering sparkle that will last and last. If you plan on layering colors, Urban Decay's Primer Potion in Sin makes a fantastic shimmering base that STAYS PUT.3. Once we have our basics down, lets consider the palette we are working with. To prevent looking too severe, my whole color palette gets an overhaul. Gone is the heavily lined smokey eye of the fall and winter. In its place I like to use shimmering colors inspired by nature, with more pop than the matte primary colors I favor in the winter. Mattes can look too harsh in the bright sun. Corals, bronzes, and pinks dominate when temperatures go up too. I for one love what bronze and corals do for my green eyes and dewy bronzed skin (fake bronze of course) can be your greatest. I also love the drama I get from a new colorful mascara.
4. Once you are looking dewy and flawless, you want to keep it that way. For that reason its a good idea to keep a lightweight, oil-absorbing powder on hand for touch ups when needed. Towards those means, MAC's pressed blot powder is a good option that is very portable.

That is it! I hope my recommendations were somewhat helpful for you all. If you have any other questions or suggestions, please send me a message at KraseyBeauty@gmail.com

*Disclaimer- I am not a skincare professional. Opinions expressed in this article are solely my own personal advice.

3 comments:

Houston Living said...

Great post!! Will this help with the massive zit on my chin? Your skin is flawless. Pretty Thang.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Adina... you are the best!!i'll ask my family to get me your lists above as mother day gift.

Krasey Beauty said...

Danelle, you do not have a massive zit on your chin!! I definitely recommend at least the mask to clean out them pores! I love you, you hot blonde you ;)

Sandra, you are so very welcome!! I hope you found my post helpful :)

Post a Comment

 
© Copyright by Krasey Beauty  |  Template by The Swatchaholic